The story of Sodom and Gomorrah is truly an odd one. We have the twin cities standing during Abraham’s time as terrible symbols of rebellious sins against God. The Lord said “Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grave,”. (Genesis 18:20) He was speaking to Abraham and informed him that He was about to bring destruction on them. Abraham would plead before the Lord, who informed Abraham that He would not destroy the cities if He found at least ten righteous men. History would show that ten were not found. (Genesis 18:32)
Later the Angels would appear to Lot and his family, who lived in Sodom to warn them so that they could flee. The men of the city were so depraved that they demanded to have the Angels to satisfy their sexual hunger. (Genesis 19:5-4) Fortunately the Angels blinded the men before they could cause any harm.
When the morning came Lot and his family fled the city. They had been warned not to look back. It is a message that still speaks to us.
God desires a better life for us and demands that we flee from evil and sin. He demands that we remove them from our lives and distance ourselves as much as possible from their temptations. However evil and sin seem to have a bizarre hold on us even when we see their evil faces. Such was the case of Lot’s wife.
Lot’s wife ignored the warning and longing looked back and instantly turned into a pillar of salt. (Genesis 19:26) Perhaps she truly did not want to leave this evil city and was already thinking of all the many wonderful things she was leaving behind. In our lives we must push on, looking forward to the promises of Christ, our eternal future with Him and the many blessings of our new life with Him. We must contemplate on that which is good and resist longing for those things we left in our sinful past.
- Genesis 18:20-26 (littlemissdaily.wordpress.com)
- Who Were the Sodomites? (bblessedtoday.net)
- SODOM AND GOMORRAH – Genesis 18:16 – 19:29 (wwyeshua.wordpress.com)
- Regretfully Yours (wherelivingbegins.wordpress.com)
- Bible Study Genesis 19 – Sodom an Gomorrah destroyed and Lot and his daughters (alexdekkers.wordpress.com)
- Sodom and Gomorrah in America? (tomohalloran.com)
- Prayer of a Righteous Man (4110fearnot.wordpress.com)
- How to Hear From God: John McTernan (lumatha.wordpress.com)