Later, at my church at around 2 pm we will be celebrating life; a brand new life in Christ. Thirteen newly committed Christians who have made a decision for Christ will be baptized. This is a life paid for by Christ and it was a heavy price of pain, torture and blood. But why do Christians get baptized?
The simple answer is that Jesus commanded us to be baptized. In Mark 16:15-16 Jesus tells his disciples, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.” But why did Jesus instruct us to baptize new believers?
Jesus made a commitment to come to this world, and gave his life in the most horrific and public way possible. He suffered the crucifixion and the entire world witnessed. When we give our life to Christ He wants us to also make that commitment in a public way for the world to see that we are his disciples and now He is our Lord.
Romans 6 helps to explain that the baptism also provides a powerful visual of how our old life without Christ is put to death in the water and when we rise out of the water we are now starting a new life with Christ. It is also a powerful reminder that like Christ we will be resurrected and live forever with Him.
Our new life is certainly an abundant eternal one and we will celebrate!
- You Have Been Commanded to Go and Make Disciples (wdednh.wordpress.com)
- Monday Moments: Risen (ducc3d.wordpress.com)
- Brought Back to True Life (catholicdevotionalforyouth.wordpress.com)
- Why Be Baptized? (alexanderrmelton.com)
- Does Someone Have to Lay Hands on Me to Receive the Holy Spirit? (askthepastors.wordpress.com)
- Why a Former Skeptic Like Me Decided to Get Baptized in Adulthood (mid20chronicles.wordpress.com)
- Preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ (meanlittleboy2.wordpress.com)
- [WMSCOG] The reason we should know the new name (followersofahnsahnghong.wordpress.com)