There you were minding your own business enjoying the son that God had promised you many years ago. Now everything had fallen into place. What could possible go wrong? Then you heard the voice of your God, the voice that had always comforted you, the voice that had always directed you. How many blessings had you received by just listening to this voice? The day just couldn’t get any better, except God made the strangest request. This loving, faithful God who hated evil and sin had just asked you to commit the most heinous act of sacrificing your son.
What do you do? Abraham found himself in this position. (Genesis 22:1-2) What is remarkable is that Abraham’s faith never faltered. He followed God’s direction to the letter.
He went to where God directed him to go, laid down the wood and placed his son on the altar. He then raised his knife and at the very last moment was stopped by God. (Genesis 22:9-12)
God provided a ram for the sacrifice. (Genesis 22:13) This must have felt like the definition of relief. Isaac was spared and Abraham did not lose his son. Beyond any doubt he proved his love and obedience to God.
Jesus reminds us that we must love God above all things. (Matthew 22:37-38) Consider those things that have the most value to you. Now consider the people you love the most. Are they more important to you than God? Would we be willing to sacrifice our relationship with God to please them?
Abraham was willing to lose his son for God. What are we willing to surrender to please God and have a closer relationship with God? This is the God who has already proven His love to us. God is the father who actually did sacrifice His son Jesus so that we might be forgiven and be saved. It was the sacrifice of His son Jesus that paid the debt of our sin and allowed us to be called sons of God.
He has shown us His love. Perhaps it is our turn to show Him our love.
- Book Review: Interpreting Abraham – Journeys to Moriah (diglotting.com)
- Decision time (godofangelarmies.wordpress.com)
- Dream Killer, Part 3: Abraham, Sacrificing the Dream (desertmeanderings.wordpress.com)
- How Well Do We Trust God? (jodiestevenspark.wordpress.com)
- Living like Isaac (pastorjoygonnerman.wordpress.com)
- Greater Sacrifice : Greater Faith (camispeaks.wordpress.com)
- “What can we learn from the life of Isaac?” (altruistico.wordpress.com)
- One-hundred and Twenty- Fifth Post for Bible Reading (inthemightynameofjesuschrist.wordpress.com)